A Parents Guide to Regulated Child Care Las Vegas
This information handout provides information about:
- The requirements that State-regulated child care centers must meet.
- Your rights and responsibilities as the parent of a child in regulated child care
Who Regulates Child Care:
- All child care in the state of Nevada is regulated by the Bureau of Services for Child Care (BSCC) which is are part of the Bureau of Health Care Quality and Compliance
- The Bureau of Services for Child Care and the Bureau of Health Care Quality and Compliance are apart of the Department of Health and Human Services.
- All child care facilities must meet minimum health, safety, and program standards set by Nevada law. To remain licensed, facilities must maintain compliance to those standards. Every licensed facility is inspected by the BSCC at random quarterly to evaluate the facility’s compliance with child care regulations.
- BSCC is responsible for: issuing child care licenses, inspecting child care facilities and investigating complaints against licensed child care.
- There are two types of regulated child care facilities: family child care homes and child care centers.
Child Care Centers must meet the following requirements:
- Licenses must be posted in a public place within the facility.
- Licensee must ensure that the facility meets all the standards for environmental health which are established by the Bureau of Consumer Health Protection of the Health Department.
- Facilities are required to have insurance to protect against liability to third parties
- All care takers are mandated reporters and must complete a program on the signs and symptoms of illness, the administration of first aid, as well as reporting abuse and neglect.
- All care takers must be CPR certified.
- All care takers are required to receive 15 hours of continuing education annually.
- For a full list of licensing regulations see the BSCC website: http://health.nv.gov/HCQC_Childcare.htm
Contacting the State Licensing
- Bureau of Services for Child Care
- Southern Nevada
- Telephone: 702-486-7918
- Email: cclicensing-SN@dcfs.nv.gov
- Website: health.nv.gov/HCQC_Childcare.htm